5 Exercises To Develop Your deltoids
The OverHead Press or Standing Press commonly called the military press for the shoulders is very important to boost the deltoids muscle, especially the middle beam. This exercise requires a powerful abdominal strap and good lumbar muscles that will contract isometrically to stabilize the spine. This is the key to keeping a good balance.
How to make the military press?
- Take a weight bar with a grip slightly greater than the width of your shoulders, hands in pronation (palms down).
- Standing with knees slightly bent, feet parallel and spread apart a width equal to that of the shoulders.
- Fold the elbows to bring the bar against the top of the chest, the wrists being a bit of a hyper-extension: this is the starting position.
- Inhale deeply and exhale by expanding the weight bar over your head until your arms are fully extended.
- Inspire by lowering the weight bar in a controlled manner.
To help you maintain balance, look straight ahead and keep your head up. If you look at the top, you may tip back; If you lean backwards, you put your spine in hyper-extension and the movement then more closely resembles an incline press. When using maximum loads, this extreme position of the column can cause back problems.
What muscles are involved?
In the shoulder joint, the main muscles involved are the anterior and middle heads of the deltoid , the upper part of the pectoralis major and the coracobrachialis. The main muscles involved in the shoulder girdle are the serratus, the trapezium and the supraspinatus. A single motor muscle acts at the level of the elbow joint: the triceps brachii.
The developed neck is an interesting exercise for the shoulders but be careful, this movement can cause pain in the shoulder joint.
In order not to traumatize the shoulder joint, which is particularly fragile, it will be necessary to lower the weight bar more or less behind the neck, taking into account the individual differences in morphology and flexibility. Avoid turning your head during exercises to avoid traumatizing your neck or spine. You will need to move the head slightly forward when the weight bar descends to the neck; However, at no time should the flexion of the neck be excessive.
Dumbbell Shoulder Press
The Dumbell shoulder press is one of the best exercises to develop the shoulders because it allows to work with great amplitude. This exercise also promotes the development of the muscles of the back central part.
To vary and place more stress on the anterior deltoids and the upper part of the pectorals, do this exercise with the elbows pointing forward, hands in neutral position. Run the developed in the same way, but keep the elbows pointed forward when lifting and lowering the dumbbells.
The Arnold press is a good exercise to develop the anterior and lateral parts of the shoulder. It also allows to work with a significant amplitude of movement. It also enhances the development of upper and lower trapezoids as well as triceps.
- Sit on a bench with backrest and bend your knees so that your feet are flat on the floor.
- The arms bent and elbows in the frontal plane or slightly forward of the body, a dumbbell in each hand held about at neck height. Orient the palms of the hands towards the body. This is the starting position.
- Inhale deeply and exhale by expanding the loads. The gaze must remain directed forward.
- When the dumbbells are higher than the head, rotate the arms inward to complete the movement with pronation (palms of the hands facing forward) with the arms extended.
- Return to the starting position by inspiring.
3 training tips
- Do not lean back when you begin to develop loads. The bust should be held upright during the whole exercise, the gaze always being directed forward.
- Avoid moving the dumbbells up and down, or letting them drop quickly by turning them suddenly or stopping abruptly at the end of the stroke. Violent movements of this nature can impose excessive stress on the shoulders, compress the spine and cause trauma. The rotation of the arms should be carried out as smoothly as possible.
- Make sure to assemble the dumbbells as much as possible so as to be able to make a maximum contraction not only of the deltoids, but also of the upper part of the trapezoids as well as the triceps.
Machine Shoulder Press
The machine-press movement makes it possible to take heavier loads by limiting the risk of injury. Be careful to continue to use in free loads in your workouts to make work your stabilizing muscles.
3 training tips
- Take advantage of this machine to carry out sets unilaterally. The machine allows you to perform the movement of a single arm with good gestures.
- Be careful not to take too heavy a load, as you may over-arch your back too much.
- There are several types of so-called converging machines. Do not hesitate to practice them because they propose different trajectories that will not solicit the muscle in the same way. By working only part of the fibers of your deltoids, you will limit their development.