All About Pilates
Everybody knows how to develop the muscle, with weights, dumbbells, barbells and even machines. Many also know bodybuilding to body weight, with compound movements, such as push-upor dips. But, much less know alternative solutions. Among these solutions is Pilates, a postural method that uses sheating exercises and fluid movements.
Joseph Pilates, creator of the method
Joseph Pilates was born in Germany in 1883. He became a nurse and experienced detention during the First World War. It was during this period that he created a system of physical exercises whose goal is to obtain a balanced body and developed harmoniously. This system is called the Pilates method. When he was released, he continued to refine his method which is now recognized as a complete bodybuilding method.
The Great Principles of Pilates
The Pilates method is based on 8 essential principles that form a whole and allow to develop a harmonious body.
- Breathing: it stabilizes the spine and manages muscle tension.
- Concentration: This is a crucial parameter to perform the movements correctly and to derive all the benefits.
- Precision: For the exercises to be effective, the movements must be carried out in a precise and coordinated way.
- Centering : Pilates places great importance on sheating, control of the diaphragm and the abdominal belt.
- The fluidity: the movements are practiced without saccades, the body and the mind are connected for a total perception of the position of the body in space.
- Control: all movements are controlled by slow-moving work that makes it possible to feel well the muscles and the body as a whole, as well as to correct the errors of postures.
- Balance: The Pilates method develops balance through the exercise of postural muscles that improve posture in everyday life.
- Routine: Like all bodybuilding methods, Pilates requires practicing on a regular and long-term basis.
In practice, how does a Pilates session take place?
First of all, you should know that the Pilates method is not a brand, it is in the public domain, which means that anyone can improvise Pilates instructors and so each course can be different. Better to inquire before registering.
Generally, a session can last about 1 hour. During this time, the instructor asks the students to chain postures in a specific order. These postures may require the use of a ball or elastic, but normally it is possible to perform a session without equipment.
The exercises are demanding but are performed without sudden movements, without trauma and the sequences are fluid.
According to gym, the practice of Pilates can be done on a machine, reform it, which is the basic apparatus of the authentic method. Other gym rather impose sequences of rhythmic movements without material. There are many variants.
The Pilates method, for whom, for what?
The Pilates method is open to all because it allows to muscle without sudden movements and therefore without traumatisms. Sedentary people, like sportsmen, can therefore indulge in it. Obviously, as a beginner, it is strongly advised to follow courses well supervised before thinking to practice at home.
Depending on the course, you can choose a practice that is smoother than another. If your goal is to do a little sport without too much fatigue, it’s possible. If, on the contrary, you want to work harder to get a toned body, there are also courses that go in this direction. Some gym also offer sessions focusing on relaxation and slackening of tension.
In general, Pilates allows to muscle, to tone and thus to improve his silhouette. On the other hand, this does not really help to get a physical bodybuilder. That is not the goal. It is rather to get a harmonious and balanced body. Pilates also improves posture in everyday life and reduces the risk of injury if you practice another sport. It is also an interesting method for gaining flexibility and reducing muscular tensions and even back pain.