Obesity surgery by Gastric balloon
Obesity surgery can be envisaged at patients who gather very precise conditions: The people has 18 to 60 years old, having a body mass index (BMI) upper to 40, or upper to 35 and suffering from complications bound to the overweight (high blood pressure, diabetes, osteoarthritis). Obesity surgery by Gastric balloon, is indicated in the less important overweight (BMI between 25 and 30).
The gastric balloon is a surgical technique which allows the people suffering from obesity to lose weight. It learns to eat better and to adopt a healthier lifestyle.
A silicone balloon filled with physiological salt solution is introduced by the natural tracks under general anesthesia. It is then placed in the stomach, so as to reduce its size. We keep it on average six months. It gives a sensation of satisfaction allowing to follow more easily the nutritionist recommendations. It can also establish a stage before passing at a more important intervention.
- Preferable to everybody and at any age (even beyond 60 years),
- Fast intervention (ten minutes), not painful, and reversible,
- It allows to know if patients are capable of forcing itself durably in a food limitation.
- Nausea and vomiting are possible,
- The loss of weight is rather small in the end,
- It causes yo-yo effect (or weight cycling) which sometimes leads to resume more weight.
The patients can expect an important loss of weight between 33 and 44 pounds during six months of implementation of the gastric balloon. They have to eat healthily, to reduce the size of its portions and to adopt an active lifestyle. In addition, they have an easier time maintaining their loss of weight during a longer period compared with the alone diets.
After the ablation of the balloon or after its spontaneous elimination, a resumption of the weight is certainly possible.